Monday, August 25, 2008

web 2.0 tool evaluation - Ebay

Thoght I'd get a quick blog in prior to my flight. I'm currently in Los Angeles and blogging using my Blackberry (which is an interesting feat). Now that I know that the blackberry works, it makes it much easier to keep up with the blog activity.

Previously I had read that Ebay is considered a Web2.0 application (I believe that o'reilly is the source). I must say that I disagree. If you take the purpose of web2.0 is to eanble collaboration, ebay does not enable that. Ebay created a portal in which people can buy asn sell products. The general premise is that a person list the product and often a minimum price that they are willing to accept, and the bidding (auction) processes starts. After a certain time if the seller'terms are met, the item is sold. I don't view that as collaboration. Their is no exchange of viewpoints, perhaps if bidders could poste comments while the bidding process is going on and therby influencing the overall value of the item then perhaps. But as it stands, I don't think this passes the giggle test of.a Web2.0 app.

4 comments:

TM said...

John

You are so correct, if Ebay is considered a Web 2.0 tool the so should Amazon, Shopzilla and the rest of the on-line shopping entities. It may have started out as what could be considered as a tool but since has grown out of that realm and maybe that was what was meant by the article that you read. But I agree as you, it does not fit the paradigm of a Web Tool now.

Steve's CS855 Blog said...

I guess I would have to disagree with this. Web 2.0 isn't just for collaboration, it is any of a myriad of tools used since the implosion of the dot-co, bubble. O’reilly has a good set of definitions that were developed at one of their conferences, where the term was coined (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html).

Based on that, I think any tool that performs work online, is a Web 2.0 tool now.

John said...

I guess, I'll have to disagree with your disagreement. By this definition any non-static web page that retrieves and serves information is a Web2.0 tool?

Lyr Lobo said...

Your discussion is interesting and the O'Reilly url is also seen in Wikipedia's references for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0

Ebay falls into a grey area for me, as my intention when I requested Web 2.0 tool use were tools that you could use to create custom content to host on your blogs, such as videos, podcasts and images.

We were also examining social media and socio-technical systems that foster collaboration.

Even so, Ebay is a popular business use of Web technology.